Alcatra de Terceira is a very traditional dish that has been made for centuries on the island of Terceira in the Azores because of its unbelievably rich and unique flavor. Alcatra from this region is a unique variation on a traditional Portuguese slow cooker pot roast and is probably the most widely eaten style simply because of how good it is. This flavor comes from the simple ingredients and correct preparation so try it out and tell us what you think!
5 Onions sliced
5 cloves garlic finely chopped
Pork fat (cut into small cubes)
2 cups of white wine with 1/4 cup of salt (dissolved)
9 lb beef round eye roast
5 cloves garlic
1/4 cup salt
2 cups white wine
Pork fat small strip (1 lb)
8 Bay leaves
10 Whole cloves
Pork or lamb bone with marrow 1 large or several small enough
to cover bottom cut leaving 1 inch of meat around bone
Butter (2 sticks)
1) Baste dish with butter
2) Add sliced onions to bottom and all around dish
3) On bottom over the onions add bone marrow. (Pork or Lamb)
4) Add chopped garlic, bay leaves, whole cloves, pork fat cubes.
5) Add a layer of the roast meat
6) Add onions again lightly
7) Repeat steps 4 and 5
8) Add onions sliced butter and pour the wine and salt mixture over it.
9) Place in oven at 400 degrees ¾ covered until boiling (around 2 Hrs)
10) Lower to 350 degrees and cook for about 4-5 Hours) and once meat is tender it’s done.
11) Serve and enjoy!