Molha de Pico, is an Azorean style Beef stew which originates in the island of Pico. Pico is the only island in the Azores where it snows and is the highest point in all of Portugal. With Molha de Pico, this style of cooking beef was used by the settlers of Pico to utilize all the ingredients and cook them long enough to bring out all the rich flavors in unison. This recipe uses a pressure cooker to emulate the style of cooking.
2 lbs chuck beef, cut into bite-size cubes
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 pound potatoes
2 Tablespoon olive oil
2 onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup white wine
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon cumin
1 cinnamon stick
1) Toss the meat, garlic, paprika, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl, combine well and let rest in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
2) Sauté the onions and other garlic cloves in a pan on medium heat with the rest of the olive oil until browned. Add the tomato paste and cook another minute or so, then add the wine, stir it well.
3) Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.
4) Add the meat and potatoes to the pressure cooker.
5) Pour the sauce on top of the meat and potatoes, add the bay leaf, cumin, and cinnamon stick. Stir it all together well.
6) Close up the pressure cooker and cook on high heat for 30 minutes.
7) Let it sit for 5 minutes. Serve while hot.