*Photo courtesy of Nick Kindelsperger*
This Chouriço and Egg Burrito recipe is a simple variation on a breakfast burrito, but with the wonderful addition of Chouriço. For those who want to eat a meal on the go in the morning when time is of the essence, but aren’t willing to forgo the great taste of Portuguese Chouriço, this is the recipe for you. The directions and ingredients are totally simple, and you should be able to find most ingredients at your nearby grocery store.
1/2 pound chouriço or linguiça sausage, casings removed and crumbled
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 green chili pepper, seeded and diced
1 flour tortilla
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1) Coat a frying pan with the tablespoon of olive oil.
2) Cook and stir the chouriço over medium heat until well browned and crumbled. Add the onion, chili pepper, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3) Continue cooking until the onion is slightly browned. Set this mixture aside in a bowl.
4) Beat the eggs and add them to the pan. Cook them on medium to low heat.
5) Continue cooking and stirring until the eggs are scrambled and no longer runny. Set aside in another bowl.
6) Place the flour tortilla in the pan on low heat and let it sit until very slightly browned on both sides.
7) Once done, place the tortilla on a plate and spread half the cheddar cheese on top.
8) Now spoon the chouriço mixture into the middle of the tortilla and top with the egg mixture. Top with the rest of the cheese.
9) Roll it up like a burrito (How to roll a burrito) and serve while hot.