Arroz com Camarao de Goa, or Goa Prawn Pulao, is a delicious prawn and rice dish from Goa, India. While originating in Goa, this dish has major Portuguese influences from Goa’s colonial history with Portugal. This dish has an infusion of Goan and Portuguese flavors which combines for an unbelievably flavorful seafood dish with a spicy kick.
1 lb Prawns, whole, unshelled, washed
2 cups Rice, long-grained
3 tbsp Butter, unsalted
3 Onions, finely sliced
1 Cinnamon stick
3 Green cardamoms
4 Garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons Ginger root, chopped
1 Tomato, chopped
2 Green chillies, chopped
1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
1 cup Coconut milk
1/2 cup green peas
salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon Sugar
1) Remove the heads and shells of the prawns, Boil the these in 3 cups water for 10 minutes. Strain and extract 3 cups of stock, set aside.
2) Devein the prawns and keep aside.
3) Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Saute the onions till lightly browned. Add the whole spices; saute for 30 seconds.
4) Add the garlic, ginger, tomato, green chilies, and turmeric powder and let them saute for 2 minutes.
6) Add the prawns and green peas. Continue cooking until they are browned.
7) Finally add the rice and let it cook for a minute.
8) Mix in the stock, coconut milk, salt, and sugar. Bring the mixture to the boil, lower heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is done. Serve while hot.