Sweet Potato soup is has been a staple of Portuguese cuisine for many years at it is one of the most healthy and delicious soup combinations you can make. While not invented in Portugal, this is the Portuguese variation and a family recipe of ours which has been passed down quite a few generations. The sweet fragrance added by the pumpkin gives this soup an even better combination, so try it out and tell us what you think!
1 large onion
2-3 slices pumpkin (with skin)
1 tablespoon lard
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper
500 grams red beans
3 cloves garlic
5 medium sweet potatoes
2 litres of water
2 tablespoons of vinegar
1) Soak the beans for 12 hours in water to which 2 tablespoons of vinegar have been added. Discard water.
2) Place the beans in a pan together with the chopped onion, crushed garlic, water, and lard and cook until tender.
3) Add the olive oil, slices of unskinned pumpkin and chopped sweet potatoes and continue to simmer until vegetables are tender.
4) Remove the pumpkin and peel, returning the chopped pumpkin to the soup.
5) Reheat and season to taste, Enjoy!