Tarte de Alfarroba e Amendôas is a Almond Carob cake from the southern Portuguese region of the Algarve. The Carob tree is a tree popularly seen all over the Algarve and only grows throughout the Mediterranean regions. The carob pod’s powder has a sweet cocoa like flavor that is perfect for enhancing texture and taste in desserts and can be used as a natural sweetener. This is a richly flavorful and decadent cake that is quite a unique treat.
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup carob powder (If you have trouble finding carob powder locally, you can buy some here on Amazon)
1/2 cup of oatmeal
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon confectioners sugar to cover
1) Preheat the oven to 355 degrees fahrenheit.
2) In a bowl, separate the whites from yolks and beat the egg whites into a creamy and even consistency. Set it aside.
3) In a blender, blend the flour, oatmeal, baking powder, carob powder, sugar, and honey. Once the mixture is a smooth and even consistency, pour it into a large separate bowl.
4) Add in the olive oil, chopped almonds, and milk to the bowl. Incorporate the egg yolks into the mixture and stir while slowly adding the egg whites. Stir it until it is mixed well.
5) Pour the batter into a greased baking mold and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
6) Once done, remove from the oven and cover with the confectioner’s sugar. Serve.