Lapas, also known as Limpet clams, are a very popular and traditional eat in the islands of the Azores in Portugal. They are absolutely my favorite clams and Lapas com Arroz is one of my favorite Azorean recipes. They are relatively small but have a stronger flavor than most regular clams and are perfect for cooking with different ingredients. This recipe utilizes these clams in combination with some rice and some other ingredients but only to further complement the flavor of the clams, which is the most important part.
2 lbs. of Limpet Clams “Lapas” (You can also use littlenecks if you cant find these)
2 onions chopped
3 garlic cloves chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup of olive oil
2 teaspoons chopped parsley
3/4 cup rice
1) Wash the clams “lapas”. Start boiling the rice in a saucepan.
2) In another large saucepan, place the olive oil, onion, and chopped garlic on low heat for a couple of minutes.
3) Add the lapas, the parsley and a glass of water. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4) Once the rice is ready, place it into the saucepan with the lapas and begin stirring.
5) Stir and let it cook just a few minutes until the lapas start coming out of the shells.
6) Don’t let it over cook as they become harder.
7) Once the lapas are ready, it is ready to serve.
8) Serve in a large platter and enjoy!.