Photo Courtesy of Simao Valente
Bacalhau à Brás is probably one of the most popular versions of cooking bacalhau in Portuguese cuisine. This is likely because it is so simple to make yet also so delicious. It is a combination of Bacalhau cod pieces mixed together with eggs and olives in a delicious twist of flavors. I have never met a person who tried this dish that didn’t like it, so hopefully you guys enjoy our take on this well known recipe as much as many people around the world do as well. Try it out and tell us what you think!
4 potatoes, sliced thinly into strips
18 ounces bacalhau (If you aren’t able to find this locally, you can buy some easily here on Amazon)
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 onion, sliced
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup black olives
1 teaspoon milk
salt and pepper to taste
*Before following any bacalhau recipe, you must first soak the bacalhau from 24 – 48 hours (depending
on the size), changing the water constantly during this period*
1) Boil the fish for about 20 minutes, then skin, bone and de-flake it.
2) Cover the bottom of a wide saucepan with olive oil and saute the finely sliced onion until transparent, taking care that the onion does not brown.
3) Add the thin potato strips and fry them until golden brown.
4) Now add the bacalhau to the pan and continue cooking on low heat.
5) Beat the eggs in a bowl with a teaspoon of milk and season with salt and pepper to taste and set it aside.
6) Add the beaten eggs to the pan and stir it in well.
7) Let the eggs cook on medium heat but keep in mind that they must stay soft and creamy.
8) This is a rapid process. Pour the mixture into a deep serving dish and cover with chopped parsley.
9) Decorate with the olive and serve while hot.