For those who love bacalhau, you will absolutely love this dish. For just about everyone else, you probably will too. Bacalhau Rice, or Arroz de Bacalhau, is one of the many unique takes on cooking bacalhau that also happens to be one of my favorites. The cod is simply combined with some cooked rice and perfectly complemented by the flavors of sauteed onions, garlic, olive oil, and freshly sliced leeks.
Bacalhau Rice is a simple and easy to make dish that is unbelievably flavorful and perfectly complemented by the smoothly textured rice. Try this dish out, and let us know what you think, we are sure you will love it! For this dish we used some one of our favorite salted cod at the moment from Thule Ventus at the Shetland Islands in Scotland. They always provide unbelievably high quality Atlantic cod that is sustainably caught and well sourced, both from the North as well as Norwegian Sea. If you use Amazon UK, you can buy some here as well.
1 medium size piece of bacalhau (salted cod)
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
4 sprigs of leeks, sliced
6 tablespoons of olive oil
1 & 1/2 cups rice
1) Soak a medium size piece of cod for 2/3 days.
2) Boil water and insert piece of cod for approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Do not over cook cod.
3) In a pan, saute onion, garlic and leeks in the olive oil on medium heat for approximately 4 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
4) Add cod and sauté for another 5 minutes.
5) Add 3 cups of water and let it boil.
6) Add rice, preferably basmati, cover and let it cook for 15 minutes.
7) Once done, transfer it to a dish and sprinkle the sliced leeks over the dish. Mix well and serve.