‘Bife com Ovo a Cavalo’ is one of the most popular dishes in Portuguese cuisine. It is a delicious and simple dish, a deep fried steak with a sunny side egg on top and french fries on the side. It is best served with either some rice and vegetables or a small salad on the side as an accompaniment.
4 steak fillets
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
8 garlic cloves, crushed
Vegetable Oil for frying
1/2 lbs potatoes, sliced into fries
1) Season the steaks and sliced potatoes with the crushed garlic cloves, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl.
2) Let it marinate for about 30 minutes.
3) Pour some vegetable oil in a deep frying skillet and place it on medium heat.
4) When it becomes hot, add the steak fillets one by one and let them become golden brown.
5) Then fry eggs without piercing the yolks and place them over the steaks.
6) Once done frying the eggs, fry the sliced potatoes until golden.
7) When they are done, turn off the heat and add them to a platter. Serve while hot.