Bola de Carne, or Meat Bread, is a very traditional and popular dish in Portuguese cuisine. This is one of my absolute favorite dishes as it combines different kinds of meat, in this version Azorean style spicy shredded pork “Pe de Torresmo”, along with some melted cheese, cooked inside a perfectly textured and crispy bread. This is an especially simple and easy dish to make that is perfect for guests or any occasion where a hearty and delicious dish is necessary.
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups while milk
1 and 3/4 cup olive oil
2 cups pe de torresmo (Any other type of shredded pork or beef may be used)
2 cups shredded cheese
1) In a mixer, beat the eggs, milk, and olive oil for about 1 minute on medium speed.
2) Now add flour and baking powder. Beat for another 2 minutes.
3) Add one cup of the shredded cheese to the mixer. Keep mixing
4) On a rectangular 8 x 12 inch pan spread half of the batter.
5) Add a layer of the pe de torresmo and the rest of the cheese.
6) Add the rest of the batter on top of the pe de torresmo and cheese.
7) Bake in a preheated at 370 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 45 – 60 minutes until the outside is golden brown.
8) Remove from the oven and place on a serving platter. Let it cool for about 10 minutes then slice into pieces and serve.