Biscoitos are very popular and traditional Portuguese butter cookies. They are one of the best treats in Portuguese dessert making. Simple and easy to make, these butter cookies are perfect for any occasion. Best served with some tea on the side.
3 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 pinch salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
8 tablespoons butter, melted
1 egg for brushing
1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) In an electric mixer add the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder and mix it well until it is even and consistent.
3) Once well mixed, add 4 of the eggs and the melted butter and continue mixing until the egg is fully integrated.
4) Lightly grease a baking sheet.
5) Using about 2 tablespoons of the dough at a time, roll the dough into different circular shapes and place each of them onto the baking sheet.
6) Beat the fifth egg and brush the top of each cookie with it.
7) Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes until the cookies are golden brown.
8) Once they are done remove from the oven and let them cool for about 20-30 minutes and serve.
*These are best stored in a plastic container and can keep well for many weeks*