This is a simple and easy way to make Caldo Verde, one of the most popular soups in Portuguese cuisine. Caldo Verde combines the wonderful flavors of chouriço, collard greens, and potatoes to make a delicious and hearty soup that can be enjoyed at any time of the day. Try it out and tell us what you think!
1/2 lbs. potatoes
3/4 cup collard greens or kale, sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
6 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves chopped
1/2 lbs. chouriço sausage
1) Place the chopped potatoes, onions and crushed garlic into 6 cups of water and bring to a boil.
2) Simmer until the vegetables are tender. Drain the vegetables and retain the liquid.
3) Blend the vegetables and then return them to the liquid
4) Finally, add the sliced collard greens (or kale), olive oil, and the sliced chouriço.
5) Simmer until the collard greens (or kale) are tender, then add the salt and pepper to taste.
6) Mix it together well and serve.