Chouriço Stuffed Clams are a New England style seafood dish which adds Portuguese style flavors like chouriço sausage. Adding chouriço, which is a signature and traditional Portuguese style pork sausage, to the stuffed clams, adds a rich savory flavor and a spicy kick. This dish is a simple and easy Portuguese variation on eating New England style baked stuff clams that is perfect for the beginning of the fall.
15-16 clams, rinsed, sand and grit removed
1 onion, minced
1 stick butter
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 teaspoons lemon juice
1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup chopped chouriço sausage
1 tablespoon clam juice (or cooking liquid from steaming the clams)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 lemon, sliced thinly
1) Fill a large pot with 2 cups water and bring it to a boil. Add the clams to the boiling water.
2) Reduce the heat to a simmer and let the clams steam for approximately 10 minutes, until the shells open.
3) Remove the clam meat from the clams and mince the meat finely.
4) Break apart the clam shells from their hinges.
5) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
6) In a frying pan, melt the butter on medium heat and add the minced onion.
7) Once the onions have softened add the garlic. Cook the garlic for 1 minute, then add the parsley, bread crumbs, minced clams, lemon juice, clam juice, and chopped chourico sausage.
8) Let it cook for 4-5 minutes and stir it well. If the mixture is too dry, add more butter or clam juice.
9) Lay the clam shells on a baking dish. Scoop a little stuffing mixture onto each clam shell.
10) Sprinkle with the grated Parmesan. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, until the parmesan is browned on top.
11) Take out of the oven and serve with lemon slices for extra flavor.