This is the recipe for making Farturas, or Portuguese style doughnuts. Farturas is like a combination of funnel cake and churros and is one of my favorite Portuguese desserts, especially when had with some tea or hot chocolate. This recipe is really simple and straightforward and the ingredients are very easy to find. Try it out we are sure you will love them, if you have any questions or comments about this recipe please place them in the comment box below!
*Makes 30-34 Farturas*
2 cups flour
2 cups water
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons sugar
Rind of 1 lemon.
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
cinnamon powder to taste
1) Put the water, butter, sugar, grated lemon rind and salt into a saucepan and bring toa boil.
2) Remove from the heat and ‘add the flour, mixing constantly. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
3) Add the well-beaten egg and baking powder to the batter mixture using your hands’ to mix well.
4) With spoons, form the dough into long cylinder shapes and deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.
5) Drain on absorbent paper and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon to taste.
6) Serve while hot and enjoy!