Portuguese chourico is extremely flavorful and just the right amount of spicy. Grilled Chourico, or Chouriço Assado, is a very traditional technique of flame grilling this delicious sausage. It utilizes a signature ceramic bowl called a assador de barro for cooking the chourico along with some agua ardente, or high content alcohol, to flame grill the chourico in a easy and quick way. This is a great snack to enjoy in the summer alongside a cold drink like a Portuguese beer.
2 chourico links
1 cup “aguardente” high percentage clear alcohol
1 “assador de barro” ceramic cooking bowl (any medium sized bowl will do as long as the chourico can rest above the alcoholic liquid below)
1) Lay the chourico out on a cutting board.
2) With a knife, make small cuts along the length of the chourico link in order to allow the insides of the sausage to be cooked as well.
3) Lay the chourico out over the assador de barro ceramic bowl.
4) Pour the cup of high content alcohol over the chourico and into the below bowl.
5) Be careful to let the alcohol drip out of the bowl in order to not burn anything but the chourico.
6) Now use a long lighter to light the liquid below and begin flame grilling the chourico.
7) Let the chourico flame grill until the alcohol runs out and the outside of the chourico should be well burned and crispy.
8)) Once done, serve immediately while hot.