Iscas com Elas are a very famous and traditional Portuguese liver with potatoes dish. There are various ways to cook this dish, and you can either use pork or calf liver. These finely sliced livers are marinated with very simple ingredients, this simplicity results in the livers keeping their own intense flavor and rich texture. They are served with boiled sliced potatoes to properly even out the flavors.
1 lbs. pork or calf liver
3 tablespoons butter
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
3/4 cup white wine
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/2 lbs. potatoes
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Cut the liver into thin slices and place in a bowl to marinate with white wine, vinegar, minced garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper to taste. Let it marinate for about 3-4 hours.
2) Boil the potatoes in a saucepan with water with their skin. Once they are done, remove the skin and slice them thinly.
3) In a frying pan, add the slices of liver and place it on medium heat. Cook them in the butter until they are well browned.
3) Pour the marinade into the pan and bring it to a boil.
4) Immediately serve on a plate and accompany with the sliced potatoes.
5) Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve while hot.