Milho Frito is one of the most signature and traditional dishes in Madeiran cuisine. They are deep fried cornmeal based treats filled with kale and other typical seasonings. They have unbelievable flavor and taste and are perfect when being served on their own or typically as an accompaniment to meat skewers.
1 cup white corn meal
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cube chicken broth
4 kale leaves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
4 cups water
Vegetable oil for frying
1) In a saucepan on high heat, add the garlic and olive oil.
2) Let it cook for a minute and then add the water, chicken broth, and corn meal. Mix until the corn meal is totally dissolved.
3) Add the salt and kale and stir consistently until the water is boiling.
4) Turn the heat to low and let it cook for about half an hour while stirring occasionally until the cornmeal thickens.
5) Once thickened, pour the mixture into a greased and flat bottomed dish. Let the mixture rest for 2 hours.
6) Now cut the corn meal into squares and begin to fry them in a deep frying pan on high heat with vegetable oil.
7) Fry them a couple at a time until they are golden brown and then once they are done place them on a platter with papers towels to dry.
8) Once they are all done, let them cool for 5 minutes and serve immediately.