This is a delicious recipe for a Portuguese style meat pie called Bolo de Carne. This style of pie originated in Germany and has been brought and intertwined with Portuguese gastronomy through the use of Portuguese ingredients of Chourico, cacoula, and spices into a meaty dish. It is quite simple and easy to make, so go ahead and try it out and tell us what you think.
1 cup milk, room temperature
1/2 stick of butter
1.5 pounds cacoula beef
1 cup chourico chopped into pieces
1 tablespoon yeast
2 cups flour
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup shredded cheese (of your choosing, I chose Queijo de Sao Jorge)
salt and pepper to taste
1) In a large bowl, mix the yeast with the milk.
2) In another bowl, mix the flour, salt and melted butter.
3) Now add this to the yeast, slowly so as not to make any lumps.
4) Knead all together.
5) Continue kneading as you add the whole eggs, one by one.
6) Allow the dough to leaven covered for 2 hours.
7) Divide the dough into two parts.
8) Roll out each part and cover the bottom of a greased baking dish with one of the parts.
9) Cover that with the meats, paprika, and cheese mixed evenly.
10) Cover with the rest of the dough.
12) Put in the oven at 375 degrees fahrenheit for a short while.
13) Remove and brush the top with the egg-yolk.
14) Place it again in the oven to bake for about 20 minutes or until golden and done.
15) Serve while hot and enjoy!