Pumpkin soup, or sopa de abóbora, is one of the most traditional Portuguese soup recipes. It has a sweet and unique pumpkin flavor and smooth texture. The scent emanating from the soup is unbelievable and is quite enjoyable to make for this fact alone. This is a perfect soup for enjoying during the cold holidays as it is a hearty and delicious soup that is simple and easy to make.
2 lbs. pumpkin
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tomato, diced
1 onion, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
salt and pepper to taste
1) Peel the pumpkin and carrots and cut them into cubes. Add them to a blender and puree them until they are a smooth and even consistency.
2) Now add them to a saucepan with water along with the minced onion and garlic cloves.
3) Add the tomato, olive oil, and cinnamon powder and stir it well. Bring it to a boil.
4) Once the vegetables are tender and soft then then reduce the heat to a simmer. Add some more water if it is too thick, and cook a bit longer on low heat.
5) Once it is done, add salt and pepper to taste and stir it well. Cover with the chopped parsley and serve.