Salame de Chocolate is one of the best chocolate treats in Portuguese dessert making. It combines the sweet and unique flavors of Maria cookies and cocoa to make an unbelievably tasty treat that can be enjoyed at any time of the day, especially for those with a sweet tooth like myself. This recipe is very popular in Portugal because it is just so simple and easy to make and can be stored away for just about any occasion. It is perfect for serving alongside some coffee or tea. Try it out and tell us what you think!
2 egg yolks
6 tablespoons sugar
5 ounces butter (or 1 stick and 2 blocks)
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup slivered pistachios
8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
7 ounces of Maria cookies (If you can’t find these locally, you can easily buy them here on Amazon. You may also use a similar cookie like a rich tea biscuit or a biscotti)
2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
1) On a baking sheet, toast the slivered almonds and pistachios in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake until the nuts are lightly toasted, for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside in a bowl.
2) Add the butter, chocolate chips, sugar, cocoa, and eggs to a saucepan on medium heat and stir it well. Let it cook for 3-5 minutes until it reaches a smooth and even consistency.
3) Pour the chocolate mixture into the bowl with the slivered almonds and pistachios. Stir all the contents together well with a spoon until the mixture reaches a smooth and even consistency.
4) Break the cookies apart into smaller pieces about the size of thirds and add them to the rest of the mix. Stir it all together well. Place this mixture in the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes until it is a little more hardened but still able to be molded.
5) Now place the chocolate mixture onto the wax paper and form it into a cylinder shape.
6) Roll the wax paper close around the mixture and twist the ends. Roll the log on an even surface until it takes the form of salami.
7) Place in the refrigerator for at least 3-4 hours.
8) Remove from the refrigerator and unwrap the chocolate salami from the wax paper. Now dust the wax paper with the confectioner’s sugar and roll the salami around in the wax paper to coat it. Wrap the salami up again in wax paper and place in the refrigerator.
9) When ready to serve remove from the refrigerator and slice off pieces as needed.