This is a simple & easy to make delicious Portuguese bread pudding, known as Barriga de Freira. Barriga de Freira, which hilariously means “a Nun’s belly”, is a delicious Portuguese take on bread pudding. Using simple ingredients as always in combination with Massa Sovada, this dish is a Portuguese dessert staple coming from the region of Alentejo. Having myself a sweet tooth, bread pudding made any way is always a treat. This is my absolute favorite way to enjoy it and I am sure you all will love it too. The recipe is very simple as are the ingredients, so try it out and tell us what you think!
500 grams sugar in ponto do pasta
200 grams Massa Sovada, cut into small cubes
10 egg yolks and 1 egg white
1/2 tablespoon butter
1) Toast the cubes of massa sovada till golden.
2) Add them to the ponto do pasta you have prepared before-hand.
3) Let the toasted cubes boil in the syrup until some of the liquid has evaporated.
4) Beat the egg yolks and the egg white in a large bowl and drop the bread mixture on them little by little, stirring to incorporate them.
5) When completed, add the butter and cook over a very low heat to cook the eggs and obtain a good consistency.
6) Serve cold sprinkled with cinnamon powder, and enjoy!