Portuguese Sponge Cake, or Pão de Ló, is one of the most popular and traditional desserts in Portuguese cuisine. Pão de Ló is a soft and fluffy sponge cake with a sticky sweet golden crust. It has a wonderful airy texture and is just the right amount of sweet. It is one of the best treats in Portuguese dessert making for good reason and is always sure to impress.
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
1) Preheat the oven to 355 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Beat the eggs and a pinch of salt together in a mixer until they are light and creamy.
3) At the lowest speed, gradually pour in the sugar as it mixes. Finally pour in the flour and baking powder and continue mixing until it is a smooth and even consistency.
3) Once done, pour this batter into a greased circular baking mold.
4) Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes until the top of the cake is slightly golden brown.
5) Once done, remove from the oven and let it cool in the baking mold for about 10 to 15 minutes.
6) Remove from the mold and serve.
*It is best enjoyed with some tea or coffee on the side*