Portuguese Squid Stew, known as Caldeirada de Lulas, is one of the best and most popular Portuguese seafood dishes, and for good reason. It is a traditional and hearty dish which provides many of the best flavors in Portuguese cooking. The combination of the fresh squid along with a rich tomato sauce makes for a wonderful seafood dish that is perfect for any occasion.
4 pounds squid
1 cup olive oil
2 onions chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 tablespoon parsley
1 teaspoon paprika
1 pound tomatoes chopped
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1/2 cup red or white wine
1 pound potatoes
1 cup water
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Portuguese ceramic cooking pot (if you do not have a portuguese ceramic pot you can also use a saucepan)
1) Wash and slice the squid properly to remove the meat. How to Properly Cut and Clean Squid
2) In the ceramic pot (or saucepan), add the onion, garlic, 1/2 cup olive oil, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste and cook on medium heat.
3) Once the onions begin to brown add the squid and let them cook for about 2-3 minutes.
4) Now add in the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, red or white wine, and the rest of the olive oil to the saucepan and stir it well.
5) De-skin the potatoes and slice them into halves and add them to the saucepan along with a cup of water.
6) Cover the pan and let it cook until the potatoes are done, stirring occasionally.
7) Once done, serve in bowls.