Sweet Potato Cupcakes, or Queijadas de Batata Doce, are an interesting and unique take on Portuguese pastries. Queijadas de Batata Doce are very similar to Queijadas de Leite but with a sweet potato twist. Perfect during the fall season, these sweet potato cupcakes have a wonderful color along with a very smooth texture that melts in your mouth with just the right amount of sweetness.
*Makes 24 Cupcakes*
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 pound sweet potatoes
1 lemon rinds
cinnamon powder for covering
24 cupcake baking papers
1) Cook the sweet potatoes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 45 to 60 minutes until they are soft and tender.
2) Now deskin and slice the cooked sweet potatoes.
3) In a machine beater, blend the sliced sweet potato on medium speed until it reaches the consistency of a puree.
4) Once well mixed, remove and set aside in a bowl.
5) Mix together the sugar with the eggs, rinds, and melted butter in the beater for a couple of minutes on medium speed and begin to add the milk with the flour sparingly until it is will mixed.
6) Now add the sweet potato puree to this mixture in the beater and blend it until the contents reach a smooth and even consistency.
7) Place the cupcake baking papers in a cupcake baking sheet and grease them with some cooking spray.
8) Now fill each of the cupcake papers to the top with the mixture from the blender.
9) Place the cupcake baking sheet into the oven at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 45 minutes to an hour until the tops have browned slightly.
10) Once done, take them out of the oven and place onto a serving platter to cool off for about 10 minutes.
11) Sprinkle the Queijadas with cinnamon powder to taste and serve.