Portuguese Sweet Rice, or Arroz Doce, is one of the most popular and traditional desserts in Portuguese cuisine. It is a unique dish with simple ingredients which are combined to create a deliciously sweet and creamy egg based rice pudding.
2 cups water
1 cup white rice
4 egg yolks
2 cups hot milk (whole works best)
1 cup sugar
1 lemon or orange rind
Cinnamon powder to decorate
1) Bring water to a boil in medium saucepan.
2) Add rice and cover, simmering for 20 minutes.
3) Now add the milk, sugar, lemon or orange rind, and the egg yolks, stirring constantly until reaching a thick consistency, about 15-20 minutes.
4) Remove from the heat and pour into one large serving plate.
5) Set aside and let cool for about an hour.
6) Cover with the cinnamon powder and serve.
Serve at room temp, but refrigerate uneaten portion.