Sopa de Tomate, or Portuguese tomato soup, is a really popular and simple Portuguese dish. It is hearty, healthy, and can be made without any fuss but is actually very flavorful. This soup is really emblematic of Portuguese cuisine in that way. Try it out and tell us what you think.
1/8 cup butter
1/4 cup Portuguese red wine (or another red wine if you don’t have Portuguese wine)
1 onion chopped
1 pound tomatoes chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon flour
1.5 cups milk
Salt and Pepper to taste
Fresh Parsley chopped to garnish
1) Melt half the butter in a saucepan.
2) Add the onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes until softened.
3) Add the tomatoes, red wine, bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until pulpy.
4) Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in another pan.
5) Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
6) Return to the heat, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
7) Continue to cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened.
8) When the tomatoes are pulpy, remove the pan from the heat.
9) Discard the bay leaf and pour the tomato mixture into a food processor or blender.
10) Process until smooth, then push through a fine strainer into a clean pan.
11) Bring the tomato puree to a boil, then gradually stir it into the milk mixture.
12) Add salt and pepper to taste.
13) Pour into bowls, garnish with the parsley, serve and enjoy!